PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico Police Brutality Against Residents Remains Persistent, ACLU Says

Police Abuse
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Lack of accountability persists as a major factor in the Puerto Rico Police Department’s (PRPD) widespread abuse and brutality against its citizens, says a new report by the American Civil Liberties Union..

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...#ixzz1zQwwx1BL

artifactsofmars
07-13-2012, 04:01 PM
This does not really surprise me. Puerto Rico would be a banana republic if they were not a US commonwealth. It is a completely different culture over there but I have never thought of cutting them loose or turning them into a state because either of those would likely be a mistake.
Obviously we on the mainland have our own corrupt cops so I guess we can't really talk much.

Esperahol
07-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Sure, we have our own corruption, but at least it isn't considered a part of the culture rather than something to deal with.

artifactsofmars
07-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Your cops are probably no worse than the cops in big cities like Chicago. I have seen the photos and videos on you-tube where teenagers get the tar beat out of them for no reason. This has been an ongoing thing. I have definitely known about cops who were notorious for beating up people. I live near a fairly large city and there are corrupt cops in the county (Monroe) but also some good ones that will help you out when you need it.

Jatelo2
07-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Though I'll be lying If I said I'm surprised at the news, my heart still goes for the citizens and must also express my deepest sympathy for them. Now that we know what is going on there and it looks like it is public knowledge what can we do to stop of minimize the brutality? Lets ponder of that!

Nicky2013
07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
How do the Puerto Rico police treat tourists? Like does anyone have any stories or knowledge about it? If you are there visiting, do they show you more or less respect than the average Puerto Rican citizen?

jovan107
08-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Puerto Rico police officers reminds me of the officers where I am originally from in South America. The problem in these countries is that no one is being held accountable for the senseless killings, rapes, and abuse of citizens. Its shameful and a complete disgrace. In Guyana, South America police officers treat tourists like royalty and abuse their own citizens.

Nicky2013
08-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Well of course. The tourists come from countries where they have a media and press and all of that. If anything bad happens to them, they can spill to the media. Which means it gets back to the U.S. government. Which means chilly relations between the U.S. and some of these countries. That affects trading, which affects the economy. And money is the root of all evil so.