PDA

View Full Version : Half-Off Tacos for Officers: Prohibited, but Part of Job

Police Abuse
07-22-2012, 02:13 AM
One of the surest places to find a police officer in downtown Brooklyn, other than the 84th Precinct station house, is the Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant on Montague Street.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/nyregion/at-chipotle-an-unofficial-and-prohibited-discount-for-officers.html?ref=policebrutalityandmisconduct

DowNut
07-22-2012, 02:15 AM
do they get free doughnuts?:victorious:

bigal3
07-22-2012, 02:51 AM
When I was a law enforcement officer one of the business on my beat was a well known doughnut shop. When I would stop there for a break or coffee in the morning the manager would comp the coffee and doughnut I had for the break as a common courtesy and appreciation for keeping his business safe. I did not consider this gesture to be out of line and I certainly did not think of it as a "bribe" or special consideration. I thought of it as being a gesture of appreciation for keeping an eye on his business thus keeping it safe.

streakanime
07-22-2012, 03:04 AM
It seems like fast food/restaurant owners would avoid promoting cops coming to eat there with discounts. Personally, I look for somewhere else to eat if there are cop cars sitting in the parking lot. I do not care how badly I want that food... All the cop cars get intimidating.

Esperahol
07-22-2012, 03:25 AM
bigal3, I completely understand. The owner is giving you food so that you're sit around and frighten off the crooks who might otherwise come by. It is a mutally benefital relationship. It also reminds me of Nathan's Hotdogs - when he decided to he needed help making sales he offered free food to doctors who wore their coats. That way people learned that his food was not only delicious, but doctor-approved.