PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you refuse to get out of the car when a cop asks you to?

Black Fire
08-20-2012, 03:21 AM
So I'm just wondering what would happen if you get pulled over by a cop and he tells you to get out and you...don't? I got thinking about this because I've been told that someone who's driving under the influence can refuse a breathalyzer test (but then their license gets taken away, or something like that - I'm still not sure what the punishment for refusing a breathalyzer test is). But anyway, I was thinking about how you can refuse the test, but what if someone who's driving under the influence just pretends to be sleeping or something, and doesn't get out when the cop tells him/her to?

Nicky2013
08-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I am not sure about this. But I do know they cannot arrest you without reading you your rights. I do think though that you can resist the demand to step out of your vehicle and have the officer forcibly remove you. But cops aren't supposed to aska drive to step out of his or her vehicle without just cause.

amber
12-19-2012, 06:08 AM
very nice post

RadicalDude
06-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Cops can and do arrest people without reading them their rights, and no the courts do not generally toss a charge because of it.
Reading someone their rights is done so that incriminating statements that come out in an interrogation can be admitted as evidence.