PDA

View Full Version : Your rights when brought in for questioning(interrogation)

wickerbaskets
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Are you able to just tell them you don't want to talk any more and then leave? It seems like since you are not under arrest, and if you don't have a lawyer present then you can just go if you want and not have to sit there for hours being interrogated. Does anybody know the truth to this?

adamnawroc
08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
I think cops can hold you in custody without arresting you. If you ask them if you're free to leave and they say no then you're not free to go. An example would be being stopped for a minor traffic infraction but then a cop smells marijuana emitting from you car. While he searches your car you're not free to leave.

When in custody you can't get up and leave but you do have the right to remain silent. I'll do some research in the coming days to verify this.

EDIT: In custody = being arrested. So, you can tell them you don't want to talk anymore but you won't be able to leave until they let you.

jovan107
08-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I think cops can hold you in custody without arresting you. If you ask them if you're free to leave and they say no then you're not free to go. An example would be being stopped for a minor traffic infraction but then a cop smells marijuana emitting from you car. While he searches your car you're not free to leave.

When in custody you can't get up and leave but you do have the right to remain silent. I'll do some research in the coming days to verify this.

EDIT: In custody = being arrested. So, you can tell them you don't want to talk anymore but you won't be able to leave until they let you.

Thank you for this information. I will research this further for my state to see what my rights are if this was to ever happen to me.

RadicalDude
06-28-2013, 07:52 AM
"If you have any questions, you can ask my lawyer"

"Who's your lawyer?"

"You'll have to ask him."