PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket?

KNH
06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I got a speeding ticket by a state cop when I was in New Mexico. I chose to go to court, but he never turned the ticket in. Whenever I would call to set up a court date, they would tell me he did not turn it in. We assume he threw it out, but how long do cops have to turn the tickets in? That happened about two years ago. I read somewhere that they might have up to five years to turn it in...does anyone know?

Sugarhill
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
You would do better looking up the statute of limitations in the city and state that you received the ticket. Some cops are just trying to fill a quota and since you were from out of town, he was probably banking on the notion that you'd just pay it as you'd never have the time to go back to court.

KNH
06-15-2012, 07:08 PM
You would do better looking up the statute of limitations in the city and state that you received the ticket. Some cops are just trying to fill a quota and since you were from out of town, he was probably banking on the notion that you'd just pay it as you'd never have the time to go back to court.

Great idea Sugarhill, you are probably right! Thanks for your response!

Melnun
06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I was just about to agree with the above. Most cops are just trying to meet their quota and could care less whether you pay it or not. Or even if you show up to court. Id say you can just get away with it.

themanikin
07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
honestly he lost the ticket plain and simple. 2 years is a lot of time i doubt you will ever see that ticket lol

artifactsofmars
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
What I am hoping here is that the cop just forgot to put it in. It is the most likely scenario as someone already said. More than likely if you never got a summons that is what happened with it.
Bureaucrats have a tendency to just forget about certain things like this. I would not fret the load and I would not remind them either.

JoshTheBoss
07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I got a speeding ticket by a state cop when I was in New Mexico. I chose to go to court, but he never turned the ticket in. Whenever I would call to set up a court date, they would tell me he did not turn it in. We assume he threw it out, but how long do cops have to turn the tickets in? That happened about two years ago. I read somewhere that they might have up to five years to turn it in...does anyone know?

At that point, I would ignore the ticket and just let it go away naturally. It's not like they wouldn't take your money if they could. So since you have been proactive about it, I'm sure all is well.

difrancprod
07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
I've been hearing about this quota from cops and that's definitely the problem here. I hope they stop doing it because it's not fair! Although it's also best to check your speed limit as well. :-)

LiquidatorBrunt
07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I didn't know that could even happen. Isn't it all digitized in most departments? Plug it all into the computer when they write you a ticket.

Sounds like you've had a little bit of good luck, KNH.

Mrs. Rogers
07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow I guess I'd just patiently wait it out. It does seem like a huge waste of your time, though, to have to keep calling back and checking on it! I'd hate to just forget it completely and then have a surprise when you're least expecting it!

Nicky2013
07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm from New York. If I get a speeding ticket in some place like New Mexico, I probably wouldn't even bother paying it. What are they gonna do? Come all the way to the big apple and arrest me? :p

erkan_orer
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Well that's a right trick these police officers have, im sure if they get found out about this surely they must get into some kind of trouble.