Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Speeding ticket?

I got a speeding ticket by a state cop when I was in New Mexico. I chose to go to court, but he never turned the ticket in. Whenever I would call to set up a court date, they would tell me he did not turn it in. We assume he threw it out, but how long do cops have to turn the tickets in? That happened about two years ago. I read somewhere that they might have up to five years to turn it in...does anyone know?

Thanks
    You would do better looking up the statute of limitations in the city and state that you received the ticket. Some cops are just trying to fill a quota and since you were from out of town, he was probably banking on the notion that you'd just pay it as you'd never have the time to go back to court.

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarhill View Post
    You would do better looking up the statute of limitations in the city and state that you received the ticket. Some cops are just trying to fill a quota and since you were from out of town, he was probably banking on the notion that you'd just pay it as you'd never have the time to go back to court.
    Great idea Sugarhill, you are probably right! Thanks for your response!

Thanks
    I was just about to agree with the above. Most cops are just trying to meet their quota and could care less whether you pay it or not. Or even if you show up to court. Id say you can just get away with it.

Thanks
    honestly he lost the ticket plain and simple. 2 years is a lot of time i doubt you will ever see that ticket lol

Thanks
    What I am hoping here is that the cop just forgot to put it in. It is the most likely scenario as someone already said. More than likely if you never got a summons that is what happened with it.
    Bureaucrats have a tendency to just forget about certain things like this. I would not fret the load and I would not remind them either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KNH View Post
    I got a speeding ticket by a state cop when I was in New Mexico. I chose to go to court, but he never turned the ticket in. Whenever I would call to set up a court date, they would tell me he did not turn it in. We assume he threw it out, but how long do cops have to turn the tickets in? That happened about two years ago. I read somewhere that they might have up to five years to turn it in...does anyone know?
    At that point, I would ignore the ticket and just let it go away naturally. It's not like they wouldn't take your money if they could. So since you have been proactive about it, I'm sure all is well.

Thanks
    I've been hearing about this quota from cops and that's definitely the problem here. I hope they stop doing it because it's not fair! Although it's also best to check your speed limit as well. :-)

Thanks
    I didn't know that could even happen. Isn't it all digitized in most departments? Plug it all into the computer when they write you a ticket.

Sounds like you've had a little bit of good luck, KNH.

Thanks
    Wow I guess I'd just patiently wait it out. It does seem like a huge waste of your time, though, to have to keep calling back and checking on it! I'd hate to just forget it completely and then have a surprise when you're least expecting it!